miércoles, 17 de junio de 2009

The Dreams Server – Based on a true story

Este relato corto lo escribió mi amigo el ingeniero Malaquias Encarnación. Me parece muy ingenioso, es una metáfora bien estructurada....

- So…hmmm…Steve, right?....
- Yes sir
- I see your resume is impressive
- Oh yeah… kind of… I’ve been doing some stuff here and there, you know..
- So, what did you do in your last job?
- I was working on a project called “earth”
- Uh, nice, what were you doing there?
- I used to work with the dreams server, you know, like, updating software on the human’s brain and things like that
- Kinda’ cool stuff isn’t?
- It is, but you know, been doing the same stuff for too long, I think is time for a change
- I see, and what is this…software update about?... is it something like updating my computer?
- You got it, it’s exactly like that… you know, every time humans fall asleep they have a small script in the brain that runs automatically and tries to find a connection to the server
- To do what?
- Anything, I mean, we can take advantage of the connection to do whatever we want, updates, fixings…I mean, we have some restrictions in the access and the things we can actually do but... We always know how to…you know…get rid of that…
- I see…So, what do you do when the brain connects?
- We update the software that manages the resources on the brain, things like memory management, speed…
- Do you overclock the human brain?
- No we don’t, we’ve tried sometimes but we always end up burning some brains…
- And what happens when you “burn” a brain?
- It just get useless, I mean, humans call it stroke, thrombosis… sometimes we can get it back, I mean, we have to work hard for months or maybe years, but they have got some of them fixed and back to normality….
- So, they have like a “fixing” team?
- No…you burn it, you fixed ….that’s the rule….or you get fired….
- So, and if they know that, why do they keep trying to do it?….I mean, you could get fired
- Yeah, but the one who gets it… you know….rich for ever!!!...
- Interesting, and…..I’m just curious…do the human brain have to connect to the server every day?....I mean, you need a huge server to handle that
- Actually, it connects every time it falls asleep, and it can happen several times in a single day…but there are some other things about it….first, we do have a huge server, but you don’t need to serve all the population at the same time as they have days and nights happening at different times around the planet.....
- Right
- Anyways, on peak times, some just …don’t get the connection….
- So they don’t have dreams…..
- Exactly…we had to increase the capacity of the server anyways, but we have also improved the process
- What process?
- Ok, let me put it this way: every time the human brain connects, we have a sequence to follow: first, the server scans the brain for any physical damage, then we upload the last data into the brain’s profile that’s stored at the server…
- So you have a copy of their memory
- Yes, and we have it organized in an accurate sequential manner so we can know what the guy did at any moment and cross-reference it with anyone else’s files…it’s amazing…and we have it with a milliseconds precision…I mean, that’s how we know everything that happens on earth without even been there…
- I see…so, you have the files of all the humans living on earth?
- Yeah, but they are not regular files, they are more like timelines, you know, and have images, “notes” and “memos” attached it to make the remembering process easier…so we have to split it in multiple smaller packets so we don’t’ screw if they interrupt the uploading process
- You mean, if the guy wakes up
- Exactly, so we have to do micro transfers of data … once we are done with that, then we proceed to update the brain firmware and that may take a time as well….
- So, you like … add more functions to the brain?
- We add “functionality”, make them more efficient, for example, a hundred years ago, humans couldn’t even remember most of their dreams….today, they have high resolution dreams and memory buffers so they can even continue the last dream if they wake up for a short period of time…let’s say 2 – 3 minutes….
- And….I’ve got another interview now so I have to let you go but, I have a last question for you, I mean, and this is personal curiosity
- Sure, go ahead
- What are these… dreams about?....do they mean something?
- Well, depending on the stage of the upgrade process, the human brain might recognize different types of information
- For example?
- For example, while we are scanning his brain, the guy sees nothing, I mean, he might see a noise or rare figures, colored dots and things like that, but he won’t see anything real at all…
- But some of them have said they can see things, real things
- Ok, I’m getting there…..after the scan, I told you we upload the last data from the brain to the server, right? so they may be able to recognize some of the images during the transfer…..
- Ok…got you
- But don’t forget we use a shared channel to do the transfers
- Something like a huge wireless?
- Exactly, and it’s is a visual channel, so there are cases when humans can see someone else’s transfers as they happen at the same time….
- Oh…that isn’t cool…
- It isn’t, and some “hackers” have tried to use this shared channel to install some kind of “information reflectors” that generate distorted versions of a single event…you know, is like being in a house full of mirrors…so people get confused about their dreams….
- Yes I understand that…and…what do they see when you are upgrading the software?
- Nothing, they see nothing…I mean, just noise and stuff…..sometimes we change the sequence… you know, upgrading first, uploading later but….when upgrading they won’t see anything….
- And what happens if the guy wakes up?....how does it feel?
- Again, It depends on the stage of the process, if we are scanning you can feel kind of dizzy, but if we are on the uploading process you can still see some of the pictures when you’re awake….I mean, not you, I know you are not human but, I mean the supposed guy we are talking about…
- I see that you really get it… I mean… this dream process…. I’ve always had this idea that we might use this upgrades, connections to the brain and stuff like that, to do something to influence the “awake” actions of the humans
- You mean something like “marketing”
- Exactly, you got it…something like marketing…but more like “custom” marketing as we have access to the person’s life, details, images and things like that from the DB at the server…you know, is not something bad, it’s just using resources we already have to promote things….
- Yeah, I’ve though about it too….I think we can promote “things” on human minds and could even get paid for it….that’d be cool….I think is doable….I’d do it…
- I think you would…..and I think you are the right guy for this job…. the position is yours man, I won’t interview anyone else….congrats…..
- Hey thanks man….I mean… that wasn’t hard at all……you know…. I know you guys are working on some advanced projects …is not that I know about any one on specific but, I know you do some stuff
- Yes we do….and now you’ll be part of our team…right?
- Sure…..so, would you let me know what kind of “projects” I’ll be working on?...
- Get ready….we are hacking the human brain!!!!!!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario